Friday 17 June 2016

The Prisoner of Genda - Part 7 The Adventurer

This story is a submission for an anthology based on the world of the novel Star's Reach by John Michael Greer. The novel is set in a de-industrial future United States known as Meriga. For more information see: http://merigaproject.blogspot.com.au/


The story is set in a town in Genda (Canada), somewhere in eastern Ontario near Quebec. The time frame is approx. 25th century. Weather patterns have settled after the long drought and it is a period of ‘peace and prosperity’ including trade with Rosh (Russia) across the northern ocean protected by the Genda navy and the southern neighbours Meriga and Meyco.


I have included a glossary of new words below the story.

Read The Prisoner of Genda - Part 1 The Prisoner, here.
Read The Prisoner of Genda - Part 2 The Widow, here.
Read The Prisoner of Genda - Part 3 The Gardener, here.
Read The Prisoner of Genda - Part 4 The Builder, here.
Read The Prisoner of Genda - Part 5 The Messenger, here.
Read The Prisoner of Genda - Part 6 The Jailer, here.


 Tundra (Photo: thepursuitoflife)

Part 7

The Adventurer


Marin stood at the door in the dim light of the early evening, stomach churning. He slowly raised his hand and tapped on the door, then took a step back. The few seconds it took before he heard the bolt drawn back seemed like an age.

“Marin sunna Elevar! Come in!” Rouss pulled him inside and threw her arms around his neck. “Marin, thank you so much for your letter. You have lifted a great weight from my heart.” She released her grip, stood back and gazed at his face. “You are a true friend. Leymo sunna Seena would be very pleased today.”

Marin took a deep breath. “I did what I had to do.”

Rouss waved him to a chair. “I feared you would not return like Leymo. Let me make you some tea.” She bustled around the kitchen bench as Marin sat and watched. She chatted happily filling him on all the news he had missed. She finally placed two mugs of tea on the table and sat down. “I can’t stop smiling. It’s so good to see you.”

He cradled the hot mug in his hands. “I am glad to see you too Rouss. Very glad.” He stared at his tea and bit his lip. “Rouss, I have something else to tell you. A confession of sorts.”

She looked at him keenly, auburn eyebrows raised.

 “I didn’t do what I did for Leymo. At least not all of it. I did it for you, and myself.” His eyes pleaded with her for understanding. “Rouss, I have loved you since I first met you, even before you married him, but I could not say a word to you then, nor since, not until now.”

Rouss’s gaze was riveted on his face. “What are you saying?”

“I can’t stay here,” he waved is hand vaguely in the direction of the town centre, “but that is not such a bad thing. This town is...there is so much more outside these walls. Come with me to the north, Rouss. There are fantastic opportunities there, land for the taking.” He paused and pulled a book out of his coat pocket. “Have you read this book of Garint’s? It talks of all the things going on there now that the ice is retreating. It’s not fantasy, it’s real. I’ve seen it.”

“I’ve read the book.” She shook her head. “Are you sure it is not just repeating the mistakes of the past? Perhaps Mam Gaia has cast off her blanket of snow for the benefit of her other children, not us?”

“Mam Gaia has changed. Why not use it to our advantage? There is plenty of room for all her creatures. We can make a new life Rouss, something great for ourselves and our children. I have money saved. I buried it in the forest to the east for safe keeping.”
She raised hand to stop him. “Marin sunna Elevar, I don’t know what to say. I have always regarded you as a brother, as did Leymo.” She stood and walked to the fireplace, hands clasped tightly in front of her. She stared into the flickering flames for several minutes. Marin watched her gravely, hope warring with dread in his heart. His throat constricted so he could not take even a sip of the tea. At last she turned and spoke. “Marin. This is all so unexpected. I need time to work out what I truly feel.”
“It will be a great opportunity for both of us, Rouss. Trust me.”
She looked at him closely. “Those are Garint’s clothes.” Marin nodded. Her eyes widened. “People said a stranger was caught climbing the wall two nights ago. That he is a prisoner in the town jail.”
Marin nodded. “That was me.”
“How did you get out?”
“Garint helped me.”
“How? Where is he?”
Marin raised his eyes to hers reluctantly. “He is in my cell. We swapped clothes. We have always looked alike, apart from the leg. I got the girl who delivers the food to give him a message.”
“You can’t leave him there!”
“I would never do that. I will go back and swap with him again once we have made our plans. Then I will work out some way to get free if the judge decides not to be lenient.”
Rouss paced the floor. “The young woman with the food. Did she have brown hair and freckles?”
“Yes.”
Rouss shook her head. “You are lucky we are not all behind bars. She is an Eldmin’s daughter.”
Marin blinked. “I didn’t know. She was reluctant at first but I convinced her I meant no harm.”
“We must get Garint out. Where does the jailer keep his keys?”
“On his belt I think. Why?”
Rouss frowned. “It will be difficult then.” She glanced at her medicine bag in the corner and bit her lip. “I have an idea. Go back to Garint’s house now. Stay there until this time tomorrow night.”
He nodded, then hesitated as he picked up Garint’s coat. “Promise me you will consider what I have said.”
Her eyes moistened as she studied him. “I will be unable to think of anything else. Now go.” She opened the door and glanced out into the lane. “And stay out of sight of your friends in the red coats.”


****

Read The Prisoner of Genda - Part 8 The Hero, here.


Glossary
Stars Reach words used
New words coined for this story (in rough order of use)
Darra
daughter of  (e.g Rouss darra Sage)
Sackamon
exclamation derived from Sacrament – Quebec French meaning “God Dammit”
Gaian
Religion based on worship of Gaia (Mother Earth)
heronna
Her honour (official title)
Genda  
Canada
juree               
jury
Gummint
government
munee  
municipality
Mam Gaia
Earth (seen as a goddess)
crussin  
croissant
Meeda
metre
maypa sirp
maple syrup
Meer
Leader of Genda
Eldmin 
Alderman/Alderwoman of the town council
Meriga
the former United States
hizonna 
His honour (official title
Meyco  
Mexico
Nowell
Christmas (from the French Noel)
Old Believers
Christians
chinselk
Chinese silk, obtained via trade with Rosh
Otwa
Ottawa
Prentice
apprentice
Rosh
Russia
Semba
December
Senamee
centimetre
Sunna   
son of  (e.g. Garint sunna Jardin)

Constructive comments welcome :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment