Thursday 9 June 2016

The Prisoner of Genda - Part 6 The Jailer

This story is a submission for an anthology based on the world of the novel Star's Reach by John Michael Greer. The novel is set in a de-industrial future United States known as Meriga. For more information see: http://merigaproject.blogspot.com.au/


The story is set in a town in Genda (Canada), somewhere in eastern Ontario near Quebec. The time frame is approx. 25th century. Weather patterns have settled after the long drought and it is a period of ‘peace and prosperity’ including trade with Rosh (Russia) across the northern ocean protected by the Genda navy and the southern neighbours Meriga and Meyco.


I have included a glossary of new words below the story.

Read The Prisoner of Genda - Part 1 The Prisoner, here.
Read The Prisoner of Genda - Part 2 The Widow, here.
Read The Prisoner of Genda - Part 3 The Gardener, here.
Read The Prisoner of Genda - Part 4 The Builder, here.
Read The Prisoner of Genda - Part 5 The Messenger, here.


 Keys (Photo: via kennedyhardware)

Part 6

The Jailer



Morning sun slanted in through the open jail house door. The jailer stood by his table, legs spread to support his bulk, and shrugged apologetically. “Rules say I have to check your pockets before you can visit a prisoner.” Garint nodded. The jailer’s hand snaked into one pocket and withdrew a well-thumbed book. “Still reading enough for the rest of us put together, eh?”


He replaced it and his pudgy fingers fished in another pocket.


“Well, well. What have we here? A mirror!” His yellowed teeth grinned. “It seems Gimpy Garint has decided to spruce himself up today. Now why would that be?” He rubbed his chin in an exaggerated mime of thoughtfulness. “It’s not Semba so it can’t be Nowell. No, you’re Gaian anyway, but the Solstice has already gone too. Hmmm.” He stroked his chin again. “We then, I reckon it can only be one thing.” His mouth curved in a sly grin. “And just who is the lucky lady?”

Garint’s cheeks flushed red. “No. I …”
The jailer laughed and clapped him on the back with a meaty paw. “It’ll be our secret, eh? Just be sure to let me know first. It’s not often I get to hear real gossip before everyone else.”
The jailer turned and jangled the ring of keys. “Come on. I’ll take you to him. Amends is the least of his problems I reckon, if he’s a deserter. Yell if you need help.”
“I’ll be fine. I know how to use these.” Garint held up his fists and flashed a lopsided grin.
The prisoner stood by the door and waited until the jailer’s footsteps had retreated along the corridor. He turned and whispered. “Did you find the letter? And deliver it?”
“Yes. I put it under her door. She was out.”
“Any reply from her?”
Garint shook his head. “No. I didn’t see her this morning. I came straight here when I got your message.”
Marin frowned, then looked Garint in the eye. “Sorry about the glass. I was aiming for the compost heap.”
Garint grinned. “You only missed by a few meedas. The compost heap is in the same place, in fact I made it bigger. I also built another greenhouse last winter and you managed to hit that instead. Winter vegetables bring in good money until the frosts leave the fields outside the walls in spring.”
Marin nodded. “Things are going well for you cousin. I’m glad. Now it’s time for me to get the wind back in my own sails.” Garint eyed him curiously but he abruptly changed tack. “How is your father?”
Garint dropped his gaze. “He returned to Mam Gaia last winter. A flu got into his lungs.”
“I’m sorry.” He paused. “Any news from my family?”
“They were in good health last I heard.”
He nodded and put an eye to the barred window again and squinted down the gloomy corridor. “Did you bring the things I asked?”
“Yes.”
“Good. Take off your clothes.”
Garint froze. Marin’s gaze pierced him. “I must see her, cousin. You know how I feel about her. I will be back for you as soon as I can. I promise.”
Garint’s eyes narrowed, then he nodded slowly. They exchanged clothes and Marin pulled a shard of glass from beneath the thin straw mattress on the bed and used the mirror to trim his beard to a similar length to Garint’s. “Did you look after her as I asked cousin?
“Yes. I gave her vegetables and loaned her books and built a big inside window ledge for her herbs.”
“Thank you for that.” He continued his rough trimming. “Have you found someone to share your house?”
Garint shook his head.
Marin shrugged. “Maybe just as well, with that leg. That is not something you want to pass on to the next generation.
Garint scowled. “My leg is not a mutation. Father said my big head got stuck coming out when I was a baby is all. I can have healthy children.”
“If someone will have you.”
Down the corridor the jailer’s chair creaked. “Are you alright in there Garint?” he called.
Garint cast a look at Marin. “Yes. Another minute to or two will be enough.”
Marin spat on the handkerchief from Garint’s coat pocket, wiped some of the dirt off his face. “How do I look?”
“A spitting image,” said Garint, his jaw tight.
Marin grinned and grasped his shoulder. “They all said we looked alike enough to be twins when we were young. We will find out if it’s still true.” Garint pulled on the Rosh overcoat and the fur hat.
Marin smiled. “Good. You look just like a prosperous Rosh merchant...who has perhaps fallen on hard times.” He chuckled. “I spend most of my time lying on the bench under the blanket so you can do the same to avoid them seeing your face. If you have to send a message, tell the young woman who brings the food. Just pretend you’re me.” He pulled Garint’s hat low down his forehead and let the flaps drop down on each side of his head. “Is the sunwater tank at your house full? I badly need a bath.”
Garint nodded.
“Good. Now, call him like you‘re in a hurry to go home to your greenhouses.”
Garint shouted out to the jailer, then lay down on the bed and pulled the blanket over his head. “Don’t forget to limp,” he hissed.
The jailer waved Marin through the door. “Remember to tell me all about this mysterious woman, eh?” he said, but received only a grunt in reply.

****


Read The Prisoner of Genda - Part 7 The Adventurer, here.


Glossary
Stars Reach words used
New words coined for this story (in rough order of use)
Darra
daughter of  (e.g Rouss darra Sage)
Sackamon
exclamation derived from Sacrament – Quebec French meaning “God Dammit”
Gaian
Religion based on worship of Gaia (Mother Earth)
heronna
Her honour (official title)
Genda  
Canada
juree               
jury
Gummint
government
munee  
municipality
Mam Gaia
Earth (seen as a goddess)
crussin  
croissant
Meeda
metre
maypa sirp
maple syrup
Meer
Leader of Genda
Eldmin 
Alderman/Alderwoman of the town council
Meriga
the former United States
hizonna 
His honour (official title
Meyco  
Mexico
Nowell
Christmas (from the French Noel)
Old Believers
Christians
chinselk
Chinese silk, obtained via trade with Rosh
Otwa
Ottawa
Prentice
apprentice
Rosh
Russia
Semba
December
Senamee
centimetre
Sunna   
son of  (e.g. Garint sunna Jardin)

Constructive comments welcome :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment